Hey Harold,

You are correct that (technically) Semantic HTML is part of the semantic
web.  (However... just to avoid confusion I should say... when many many
people talk about the Semantic Web, they are talking about RDF.  I am NOT
talking about RDF.  I'm talking about a part of the semantic web that has
nothing to do with RDF... just Semantic HTML.)

The first thing to realize is that Semantic HTML is just regular HTML.

You're just making use of features that were always there.  (You might
already be using them and not even know you are writing Semantic HTML.)

And BTW... "semantics" is just a fancy word for "meaning".  If I were to
ask, "what are the semantics of this?"... I would be asking, "what does this
mean?"

So.... here's some Semantic HTML you are already probably familiar with....

You can specify that a thing is a paragraph with the <p> element.  So for
example...

        This is a paragraph.  Simple, eh?!

(Anyone who has ever written something like that has written Semantic HTML.)

Also, if you are quoting something, you can use the <blockquote> element or
the <q> element.  For example...

        John said, <q>hello Jane</q>.

If you want to add a bit more semantics, you could specify where John said
that.  Imagine if he said it online, maybe in a chat session or something,
and there is a log of it at "http://example.com/chatlog/123";, then we could
write...

        John said, <q cite="http://example.com/chatlog/123";>hello Jane</q>.

There are ALOT more HTML elements that give all sorts of semantics.  I won't
enumerate them all, but hopefully that gives you some idea of it.

So.... having said that... what if there is no HTML element to express what
you are trying to say?  What then?

Well, HTML has a way of dealing with this.  HTML provides the "class"
attribute for this.  For example, what if we wanted an HTML element to
specify an "article".  There's no <article> element.  So we could do
something like this...

        Blah blah blah.

(<div> and <span> are kind of "blank' elements.  They're useful when you
want to kind of to make your own HTML elements.)

Now... some people might be thinking, "wait... the class attribute is only
for styling".  I used to think that myself.  Well, it is true that the
"class" attribute can be used for styling.  BUT... it can be used for adding
semantics too -- for adding meaning too.  It's in the HTML spec!... and many
people use it that way.  (That's part of what the Microformats thing is all
about.)

And here's an example that appears on ALOT of webpages (according to a
Google report)...

        Blah blah blah.

Many many many people on the web specify the "footer" like that (because
there is no <footer> element).

Here's another example that's a bit more complex.   What if I wanted an
element that I could use to specify PHP code.  Well, there's the <code>
element.  But that doesn't say it is PHP code.  However, I could do
something like the following...

    <code class="php">$x = file_get_contents("http://example.com/it.html
");</code>

Here I used an existing non-blank HTML element and added a class name to it
to specify the semantics I wanted.

(That's kind of the basics of Semantic HTML.  If I didn't explain things
well enough and it's still a bit unclear... let me know and I can explain it
more.)

So.... getting back to our vlogging stuff.  We'd need to either use existing
HTML elements or use HTML class names to give "meaning" -- to give
"semantics" -- to vlog posts.

Things like: the title, the summary, the video(s), the thumnails, etc etc.

Basically we'd need to figure out what existing HTML elements people could
use and pick some class names for things where we need a bit more semantics
than HTML provides already.

That way a machines... like backup software... could find all the important
stuff.

Did I explain that well enough?