Wow, I actually read that out loud to my husband.  Maybe I won't be a star
in 2K years?

Robyn

From: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Tom Gosse
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:59 PM
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [videoblogging] A question for the group...

Last year, while doing some genealogical research at the National Archives,
I had the chance to listen in on a conversation about which medium was the
best for archiving records. A National Archives worker said that their
research showed that in order of durability and longevity it was:
* stone - last forever but not practical.
* paper - we have papyrus documents that are two thousand years old,
and medieval manuscripts that are five hundred years old that are still
readable. The problem with paper is that it is too fragile.
* Microfilm / microfiche - will last for decades even when in constant
use, good for a hundred years.
* Electronic media - standards and software change so fast it can
become unusable in less than a decade.

My former employer decided to move all their documentation (procedures,
schematics, etc) to electronic media and thrash all the paper copies. In
less than five years they found they had WordPerfect files they couldn't
open, and Adobe dxf files that wouldn't open in newer versions of AutoCAD.
The engineers on board the USS Ronald Reagan are having problems with the
later today.

I wonder if the programs we record today will be viewable in ten years from
now never mind a hundred.

Tom Gosse, aka Irish Hermit
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:hermit%40irishhermit.com>
blog/vlog: http://irishhermit.blogspot.com
_____

To think that maybe 100 years, 1,000 years from now, someone could
watch me, see my life, my ups, my downs, my trips, my friends, my
dreams, hopes, etc...

What makes you think that? Look around your house / work for digital media
from
10 years ago. Can you view the files on it now? Does your video
camera/player
support the formats of years gone by? No? Mine neither. We'll be the
generation
that leaves a whole pile of digital info behind when we are gone, but most
of it
will be useless. Even if the machines exists to view the info, all the media
(CD/DVD etc) have built in obsolescence. It's very unlikely that today's
data
will survive 100 years into the future. Having said that, it doesn't mean we
can't have fun creating it now. J

Just my tuppence worth,

Cheers,
Gary