From: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of leanbackvids
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 11:37 AM
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [videoblogging] Re: Can't link to Webcast if copyright owner
objects

"A federal judge in Texas has ruled that it is unlawful to provide a
hyperlink to a Webcast if the copyright owner objects to it."

Generally speaking, that is bullshit. Hyperlinking on the Internet
should not be governed by any court.

The article says that supercrosslive.com "had been providing direct
links to the live audiocasts of motorcycle racing events."

Of course CNN wants a page link because it contains advertising... But
direct links should be fine. Anyone should be able to link (not
necessarily embed) any file that is public on the Internet.

Specifically relating this to RSS, I think it makes "hotlinking" more
accepted because there is an inherent intention to syndicate the
original content.

All this is becoming so common that I doubt the courts will be able to
keep up for much longer. I hope the continued development of
AJAX-like applications will eventually break down these out-dated laws.

Check out this (4-part) article...
http://www.andykessler.com/andy_kessler/2006/10/media_2uhoh_in_.html

It says "media is about control of a pipe". Thankfully, users are
taking and demanding control.

Slightly related, also check out Drupal's new "leech" module...
http://drupal.org/project/leech

-Matt
http://vlogmap.org

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com> , "Bill Cammack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> That ruling makes sense. They shouldn't be allowed to link to a
live broadcast that
> someone else is currently streaming unless that was the goal of the
person/group
> streaming it. That's like hijacking CNN and feeding it live on your
own television station.
> You didn't do any of the work or go to any of the expense to make
that happen, so there's
> no reason your station should have the same functionality as CNN.
>
> It's the same discussion that's been going on about aggregators.
What should they be
> able to 'rip' from your site and post without context or
notification of reserved rights? Why