Hey all.  My recent cartoon called "Screw Google" may help someone who
is trying to find a method to download and edit Google, Youtube and
other videos.  It's available on blip at: http://blip.tv/file/134228 or
on my blogger site: hassleheadnews.blogspot.com.  The idea behind the
video is this: Google has been digitizing NARA (National Archives and
Records Administration) videos into a proprietary format.  These
materials are public domain and instead of making them broadly
available, Google is presenting them in a way that allows us to look
but not touch.  To get these same materials from NARA you have to jump
through fiery hoops.  If you don't have a screenscraper, you can use
the methods presented in the video I referenced above to get footage
of, say, the Marines raising the American flag on Iwo Jima or any other
of a hundred thousand Public Domain videos.  It's axiomatic that Public
Domain material can never be copyrighted by inclusion in another
format, so when you convert these videos, the underlying data is yours
to use.  Hope this contribution is fun and helpful.

-David