From: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Steve Watkins
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 3:56 PM
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [videoblogging] Nokia N800 again, and UMPC

I was just looking at the latest software update for the N800 and was
amused by this, in light of the iPhone hype...

"Improvements in finger usage

Improvements in dialog selection when using the Nokia N800 Internet
Tablet with fingers and not the stylus pen."

I was also delighted to read this:

"The Nokia N800 Internet Tablet is based on Nokia's desktop Linux
based Operating System. The Maemo development platform was launched in
2005 to provide Open Source developers with the tools and
opportunities to create innovative applications for use on Nokia's
Internet Tablets. Users of the Nokia N800 will be able to benefit from
a wide range of third party applications. "

Now as the N800 isnt a mobile phone, its not totally comparable to the
iPhone, but when it comes to open development they put Apple to shame.

So far Ive only heard about the camera being used for live video chat,
so I dont even know if you can record clips with it. So I suspect this
device isnt going to be as vlog-friendly as perhaps some other
N-series Nokia devices, but time will tell and hopefully Im totally
wrong. The 800x480 screen sounds very nice.

As I have some sort of portable device fixation Ive tried various
other devices, and have a UMPC. In practice Ive found even the most
rudimentary mobile computing to be a bit painful - its amazing how
often a proper keyboard is missed, how often you want the screen to be
much larger (but the device be smaller), how things being slow feels
even more painful when done on the move, and how rubbish battery
performance still is for many devices. Im hoping much progress is
made, but Im unsure really how things will work out. Certainly well
designed software could help, but Im not holding my breath.

Unfortunately my UMPC is the samsung one without a camera, although I
could plug a USB webcam into it. So if anybody happens to have any
questions about the UMPC platform, feel freee to ask. The price and
battery life are all wrong at the moment. Its certainly a better
weight and size than a normal tablet PC, but isnt pocket-sized so can
seem annoyingly bulky sometimes. I think its only really worthwhile
for people with specific needs, who travel a lot. And the size of the
device makes me unsure whether its really a good basis for using as a
camera, when pointing at anything other than yourself.

Cheers

Steve Elbows