Yeah it should be technically possible, because free encoding systems
such as ffmpeg, x264, exist on windows. Its quite likely that the
tools you use on OS X use the same underlying code to do the encoding.

As Rupert said, Fast Start is probably the best term to search for, I
found a thread about ffmpeg that suggests it supports it. But ffmpeg
on its own is a command line tool that isnt straightforward to use, so
its really a question of finding a GUI that is nice enough to use and
also (either by showing it as an option or by luck) ends up with mp4
files that can fast-start. Unfortunately many of the tools out there
arent designed with users who put stuff in webpages in mind, so it
gets overlooked quite a lot.

The software Rupert mentioned may do it, its hard to tell and Im out
of date with Windows apps, hopefully it will work or someone will
suggest another one because my googling produced no quick definitive
solution. I know I ended up buying quicktime out of frustration 2
years ago, before switching to Mac altogether, but Id of hoped there'd
be some decent free solutions by now.

Cheers

Steve Elbows