Cheers, yeah thats the other way to handle the mess that I have
presented in my wafflings, for enlightened device manufacturers to
pack in a huge range of supported formats (not too practical in some
cases though), or to bundle software that takes care of conversion.

It didnt take Sony and Apple long to add video conversion to their
desktop aggregators, and theres no way in the world that most vloggers
and viewers want to be wondering about these issues too much. Its not
foolproof, you'll always be able to find a format that wont work or
that the converter cant even read, and its important that we help
people identify anything they may be doing with their videos that is
causing problems, that they may never know about.

Judging by the fast increasing range of devices that can play video, I
think its gone beyond the point of us realistically keeping up. When
some device launches amid great hype, and seems to get large takeup,
juicy sales and media recognition, I guess some vloggers will be keen
to know if their stuff works, but for every device that gets attention
there will be dozens that maybe on one person here owns or knows
someone that owns one.

I do really hate the idea of people having to convert though cos it
spoils quality, takes time & electrical energy, and doesnt fit well
with a future where people might be getting stuff straight to their
mobile device a lot more. But what more can people reasonbly do?
Vlogger already did what could be asked of them, ie onften provide in
several formats or one downloadable format and a flash version created
by a service for them. This functional fudge seems to have reduced the
number of encoding questions on this list from a large percentage of
the traffic in the first year or so, to an occasional topic, which can
only be a good thing considering how much 'fun' this all is, even to
me a nerd who spent an unhealthy amount of time studying compression
without ever having anything worth compressing of my own lol.

Cheers

Steve Elbows