Interesting article

http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs28294;_ylt=AjL7tlWL.cedgomrWP1
qsXOs0NUE

SAN FRANCISCO -- Whether he is a journalist or not, as many debate,
Josh Wolf believed strongly enough in the journalistic principle of
protecting his sources that he was willing to spend seven and a half
months in a federal prison being faithful to it.

Tuesday afternoon, he walked out of the Dublin Federal Correctional
Institution in California a free man.

Wolf was in prison for refusing to hand over video he shot during a
protest in San Francisco in 2005. In a deal brokered between his
lawyers and federal prosecutors, Wolf posted the uncut video of the
protest on his site, JoshWolf.net, gave prosecutors a copy, told them
he had not witnessed any crimes and was released.

In exchange, prosecutors acceded to Wolf's key contention: that he
not be made to appear before the grand jury and identify those on his
videotape.

"Journalists absolutely have to remain independent of law
enforcement,'' Wolf told reporters outside the gates of the
prison. "Otherwise, people will never trust journalists.''

Just as Wolf became a poster boy for the debate of whether bloggers
are actually journalists and deserving the same legal protections,
his status as an Internet icon may get another boost as likely the
first federal prison inmate to be released for posting a video to his
website.

Wolf, who calls himself and activist and anarchist on another one of
his sites, "The Revolution Will Be Televised," filmed a July 2005 San
Francisco protest against the     World Trade Organization which
turned violent. A police officer suffered a fractured skull and there
were allegations of attempted arson.

Wolf provided some of the footage to local television stations, but
refused to give the raw outtakes to a grand jury.

The standoff led to Wolf being jailed and sparked a heated debate
about whether an activist blogger deserved the same protections as a
professional journalist.

I spoke to Wolf by telephone while he was still in prison a few weeks
ago and asked him if his advocacy made him selective in what he
videotaped at the protest. Would he turn off the camera to protect
his friends? A partial transcript of our conversation follows (Listen
to the full interview).

Kevin Sites: If there had been a situation where you saw a protestor
beating up a police officer, or you saw them committing arson, would
you have shot that?

Josh Wolf: I wasn't there to shoot that.

Kevin Sites: No, but would you have shot that?

Josh Wolf: That's a question I would have made in that moment...

Kevin Sites: Well, that's what I want to ask you. If I asked you to
take sides, if I asked you to take a side of journalism or activism,
you know, which side are you taking here? Because you're asking for
the protection of journalism yet you're also seeking to be an
activist.

"My role is to uncover the truth to deliver to the public. That is my
number one accountability."
— Josh Wolf

Josh Wolf: Would you not say that Thomas Paine was an activist for
the Declaration of - or the independence of America and also...

Kevin Sites: But I would say that he would not be claiming to be
journalist, he would be claiming to be an activist. That's all I'm
asking you to do, is take sides. Are you claiming to be an activist
or a journalist?

Josh Wolf: I don't. I see that advocacy has a firm role within the
realm of journalism.

Kevin Sites: Right, but as an advocate, you have to be willing to
allow yourself to be jailed and expect the consequences of your
actions. As a journalist, you're asking for certain protections, you
know, from those consequences. That's why I'm asking you, you know,
which side do you want to step on at this point.

Josh Wolf: My role is to uncover the truth to deliver to the public.
That is my number one accountability.

Kevin Sites: But that truth is through, as you said, a prism of your
own political convictions.

Josh Wolf: The truth is biased by everyone's convictions, whether
it's a corporate conviction of your employer, your own personal
convictions that are left politically based from mainstream press
perspective, or a more biased perspective [because of] which you
won't be as open about as a journalist who does not put forward an
impression that they are trying to be objective. If you watch the
videotape, you'll see there are many things that make the protestors
look bad and there are things that make the cops look bad. It is
essentially a balanced report of what I saw. It's a bird's eye view.

Debra Saunders, a conservative columnist for the San Francisco
Chronicle, applauds Wolf's dedication, but doesn't believe he should
be called a journalist.

"I think that you can be a blogger and be a journalist," Saunders
tells me from her office at the Chronicle. "There are people who fit
that [description], but when you're an activist cavorting with the
people you're chronicling, then you are not a journalist."

Her own newspaper disagrees with that assessment and has supported
Wolf on the Chronicle's opinion pages.

"The fact that Josh Wolf has strong political views does not
disqualify him from being a journalist any more than the fact that I
am an editorial page editor and have opinions disqualifies me from
being a journalist," says John Diaz of the Chronicle. "The fact is,
he was out at that rally, collecting information to disseminate to
the public. I think that makes him a journalist."

Ultimately, Saunders says, it won't be journalists and bloggers who
decide the issue, but the government.

"The courts are going to end up deciding who journalists are,
because, unfortunately, this administration is really pushing the
envelope in jailing journalists, and it won't end with the Bush
administration," Saunders says. "It will get bigger as people point
fingers in many ways, and that means the courts are going to decide
who journalists are. You may not like it, but that's the way it is."

A couple of things struck me in this article, it reminded me of a
conversation I had with Josh well over a year ago, not long after I
had joined this group.  I found him witty and passionite but I
wondered about "objectivity" and he basicly said the same thing to me
as he did here.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds....

Heath
http://batmangeek.com