By reencoding footage they are on extremely rocky legal ground.

They are actively redistributing content, and so they absolutely must
adhere to peoples license. They cant try and wriggle around in the
grey area that some who only embed videos have over this issue in the
past.

They are also most definatly making commercial use of these videos,
they are a company, its a business (see
http://www.vibesolutions.net/vsg/htdocs/about/press_release-20070327.jsp
for example) , and again by re-encoding and hosting I think the issue
is much less grey.

So they are commercial, so even if they properly honoured the other
creative commons terms such as attribution and displaying the license,
they are not granted the rights they are taking.

The only grey I can see in this issue is if someone legally ruled that
such use of video was not commercial. If I were that judge I would
obviously not come to such a determination, being as the video is the
main commodity that creates value for these businesses.

They are not the first to cling to the DMCA ideas about copyright,
that we must opt-out of this leechery. In the past some here have
thought this an innapropriate defense, being as DMCA provisions apply
to the likes of youtube and users uploading copyrighted clips on a
manual basis. Wheras wholesale ripping of RSS syndication feeds on an
automatic basis, doesnt quite seem within the spirit of that
particualr DMCA mechanism, as Veoh found out to their peril.

This conversation faded out again last time without any satisfactory
conclusion to the 'show creative commons license on your site' issue.
I was someone who wanted blip.tv to exert more pressure on its
partners to make sure this information is present on the partner
sites. I havent seen this happening, but then again if sites like
network2 are opt-in now, then I suppose it doesnt amtter so much if
they dont show creative commons feed info? Its the opt-out ones that
need to make sure they follow every letter of a license because they
havent received rights explicitly granted to them by the video
creators, they have to rely on the cc ones.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Kent Nichols"