An Eric Rice request.

http://www.ericrice.com/blog/?p=476

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eric Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Apr 17, 2007 9:09 PM
Subject: While Web 2.0 happens, I observe day laborers
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 In my rural Silicon Valley town, there are day
laborers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_laborer>,
who line both sides of Main Street near the Caltrain station. They wait
eagerly for any work, no matter how back-breaking or menial. Some
construction crew, someone needing yardwork– anything– to get a few extra
dollars.

I saw them this morning when I went to the grocery after dropping the kids
off at school. I saw them again at lunch time when I went to the bank,
albeit, in much smaller numbers.

Some of them retired to the shade in the parking lot of the bank– I didn't
see them at first until I pulled my truck into the parking lot. For a split
second, their faces lit up. A truck!

But alas, I had no work for them. I was going to the bank.

They weren't listening to podcasts, they weren't Twittering, and I'm pretty
sure I didn't see any webcams attached to their heads documenting the
minutia of waiting. No, I'm pretty sure I didn't.

I will stop writing now, because I want someone else to write the second
part of this article. I want someone in San Francisco at the Web
2.0conference to continue this article. I want the folks at Google to
continue
this article. Snap.com. Justin.tv. Scoble. Rubel. Arrington. Calcanis. Pick
any names. Pick any company. Pick someone in the so-called 2.0 space…

…to continue this story.

*Eric Rice Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:24:31 +0000*