As someone who's
- new, as in, been a member of the list a few months
- still trying to figure out many aspects of videoblogging
- only exposure to the wiki entry issue has been on this email list
this is how is seems to me.

People who have defined and shaped videoblogging are the most
qualified people to contribute to the wiki.  Things that have been
added and then deleted were verifiable for the contributor because
they were there when it happened.  They were and are part of the ever-
changing videoblogging landscape.

Unfortunately, this isn't good enough according to Wikipedia policy.
Ruperthowe described the problem on the talk page: "I guarantee you
that you will not find one single mention of this in the Main stream
media, but that does not mean it does not exist as a real issue -
online sources such as the Yahoo Group discussion cited are clearly
the most authoritative and widely discussed background material for
this kind of item"

David Howell asks : "No original research? Why not?" And then "Why
use "new media" to define "new media" with a requirement that the
validation come from "old media."

This is the problem.  People are adding content that they know to be
true because they are the movers and shakers, yet the content doesn't
meet the policies of Wikipedia for citation and verifiability.  And
people are really upset at pdelongchamp for enforcing the Wiki policies.

There seem to be two issues: 1) not agreeing with the policies that
don't allow original research and 2) the manner in which pdelongchamp
enforces the policies.

There's not much you can do about #1 except wait for more
"verifiable" sources to emerge or take the game somewhere else (which
I believe Verdi setup something on pbwiki).  I agree that it doesn't
make much sense to only allow old media to define the faster paced
new media.

Now #2 is stickier.  I looked over the history page and edits that
pdelongchamp made stated the reason was not being in line with wiki
policy.  It could very well be that he gets his kicks by causing
everyone frustration.  I don't know, I don't know him but if I'm just
going by what I've seen on here, it doesn't seem that way.  I
understand that many of you know each other and are friends in Real
Life and want to stick by each other.  I've only met three other
videobloggers (but I hope to change that in the near future) so I can
give a fairly objective view on the exchanges here.  pdelongchamp has
been called names and cursed at, yet his responses are well-measured,
civil and only speak of improving the article according to Wikipedia
policy.  Either he's not quite what people are making him out to be
or he's two-faced and manipulative.

People are unhappy with Wikipedia's policy and are aiming their
frustration at the person enforcing it.  I think if pdelongchamp went
away and never came back, there would be someone else to take his
place as "gatekeeper."

--
Kary Rogers
http://karyhead.com