It can get quite confusing. Not exactly comparing like for like,
although the end results may be the same.

Joomla is an existing opensource content management system, with a
wide variety of extensions, and the ability for developers to use it
like a framework and add their own functionality where needed, or hack
existing functionality. Jooma is written in php and so needs a
webserver with php & a db like mysql on it, which most hosting options
provide.

Zend offer a range of products which enhance php. These include stuff
that goes on the server to make the php run faster, development
environment for php developers to use when writing the code, and a
framework that provides many building blocks to make php development
easier & quicker. Id need to know which zend bits are being
recommended to you to comment further, and Ive never used that stuff
myself.

Ruby on Rails is a framework that is quite popular these days. Using
it will reduce your hosting options because you need a webserver thats
got the right stuff installed. Unlike the other options, it doesnt use
php at all.

Any of the above should be capable of being used to create the site
you desire, It will affect exactly what server you get, how well the
site will scale up if it becomes very busy, and which developers are
available to work on the project for you. But if done right the
end-user shouldnt notice any difference, the key really is picking the
right developer.

As for cost, that is also difficult to say, the devil is in the
detail. If Joomla is chosen then it may be possible that existing
modules do most of what you need, in which case someone skilled with
Joomla could probably create the site in a day or so, then spend a bit
longer tweaking things, and then messing with the theme/looks of the
site. If your functionality is more unique an an extension needs to be
written, or Joomla changed extensively in some other way, then time &
costs will rapidly increase. Whether the developer has to support &
maintain the site, and think about issues of scaleability and
futureproofing, will also affect cost.

Personally I use drupal which is a content management system like
Joomla, again written in php, with various extensions and the ability
to use it as a framework to build something far more customized. From
what you've said so far, Id say no, dont pay $15k, get someone to
spend a day or 2 trying to build a site to your requirements using
standard jooma or drupal, and then see where it fails you. Until you
know quite how much custom coding will be needed to make your site do
what you want, its hard to say what its really worth.  Because we
might only be talking about a day's work, or could be months work if
you want something really unusual or have complex ideas for site
theme/looks etc.

At the end of the day its easy to spend huge amounts of money and not
really get what you want, or spend very little and be really
impressed. Th choice of technologies may be secondary to finding the
right people to do the job, and being able to explain the required
features in detail. Using something like Drupal or Joomla will give
you the advantage that if our developer vanishes in the future,
someone else should be able to takeover, wheras if someones written
the code from scratch or using a framework, it may be a lot harder for
another developer to work ot how your system runs. But thats not
necessarily true, depends how well the original developer used a
framework, used best practice when coding, and documented their work.

Cheers

Steve Elbows