--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Bloom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Congrats on being asked to create the video run at your tradeshow!
That was

http://mmmmmoon.blogspot.com/2007/06/relay-for-life.html

> > The link to the vlog was passed around the office and to our head
> > office. It was viewed by one of the VPs and he's asked me to contact
> > him about creating a promotional video to run at our trade
> > show/conference booth. Basically the same as the video linked above,
> > but the video would be of our staff working with the clients and a
> > nice motivating song overlay.
> >
> > So I have a bunch of questions/concerns.
> >
> > 1) This project will not be part of my regular duties and should be
> > billable separately then my regular low pay. How are projects billed?
> > Hourly? For the whole project? Any insight would be greatly
appreciated.

I suggest you write down all the steps in making the video---including
meetings with client, coming up w/the idea, shooting it, editing it,
touching it up again (the client will almost certainly want some
tweaks), compressing it, and uploading it.

Estimate how many hours for each part and add them up.

Then, remembering that Uncle Sam will take 1/3, ask yourself: how much
$ per hour you feel comfortable trading your time for? When you are
working on this video, you will not be able to spend time w/friends,
and family or do other stuff you want to do. What do you need to get
paid to feel ok about that? Heck maybe you'd do it for free, because
you are so amped about it. On the other hand, maybe not. This is a lot
of work, and it's easier to work, when you know you are getting paid.

If you underestimate the hours, then chalk it up to experience and do
a more realistic estimate next time. If you overestimate...I doubt you
will. Never seems to work out that way for me anyway.

> > 2) My computer system is able to handle my vlog at it's 320x240 res,
> > but it'll need some upgrades to handle output to DVD or at least VCD
> > quality. And of course I don't have lights, umbrellas, mics etc etc
> > etc. My old JVC camcorder has issues, my Xacti c40 is okay, but a
> > little low for DVD quality video. If I can upgrade my equipment, I
> > could do a better job.

I doubt your client is going to want to foot the bill for a bunch of
new gear for ya. If you don't want to spend your own money on new
equipment  right now (which might be a great investment), then just
use what you've got. Be resourceful---use natural lighting. Pick your
locations well. Another possibility is to get the client to rent gear
for you. You may be able to rent stuff in your area.

> > 3) Podcast safe music... I'm gathering that I couldn't use that as
> > overlay within a short promotional video being used at a trade show
> > booth? I was lucky finding that Relay for Life song,
Can someone else chime in on this? I've been using my friend's music
lately, so I'm a little out of it.

> > 4) Finally... what value should I place on a 3 minute promotional
video?

See #1 above. Let me throw this into the mix too: you will be getting
paid to learn. That's great.

The main thing is that you make something you are proud of. If it's
good, then it will lead to more work for you...

As you get more in demand, you can charge more. At the same time, if
they have the budget to pay you, you might as well tap into that and
make some dough.

Also, a good idea to write up a simple contract and have them sign it.

Basically, you spell out what you  are going to deliver them, when,
for what ammount of $ and what kind of process. This way, everyone is
clear on what is going on, and if that becomes unclear, then the
document is there to refresh everyone's memory.

If they don't want to do that, I would walk away from it. Thanks, but
no thanks. As a rule of thumb, it's a bad sign when people are not
comfortable putting business arrangements in writing. You want to be
businesslike and you want them to be too.

Hope this stuff is helpful. Other people may have different views.
Tell us how it goes.