Domain names is a big business. There are a handful of companies
that this is their only business, in fact. It is basically treated
like real estate. Someone has bought meefedia.com, meefeedia.com,
mefedia.com (i wouldn't suggest going to any of these unless you
like pop-ups and pop-unders).

Here is a article about the recent boom:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/06/24/domain-sellers-party-like-its-
1999/

I'd suggest anyone that has a vlog to trademark their names
immediately. Anyone know of any good resources to do this easily and
cheaply?

Regards,
-Frank

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> It could be done on a much bigger scale than someone reading this
> list. Maybe some people are targetting all blogspot addresses for
> example, monitoring all new account names and getting the
equivalent
> url's.
>
> On a seperate but vaguely related note, one of the reasons so many
web
> 2 companies have strange names, is that they want short .com url's
and
>  nearly all combinations of real words that arent too long, are
long
> since taken.
>
> Im guilty of buying a dozen or so domain names over the years and
then
> not doing what I planned with them, although Ive never bought a
name
> based on what anybody else is doing. I still feel guilty that I am
> wasting these domains, but then again I still foolishly hope I will
> use them one day, and nobody has ever contacted me to ask if any of
> them are for sale. I had the domain name reali.tv for some years,
did
> wonder if it was a saleable name at one point but never tried, just
> let it lapse in the end.
>
> Ive a slight concern with the domain name I care most about at the
> moment, carbondown.com. Ive not done enough with the site but I
still
> have big dreams for it. Ive just learnt that the Australian
government
> have called their scheme to help small & medium sized businesses
> reduce their carbon footprint the same name, carbon down. I dont
mind
> them using it, I just hope they dont mind me having the .com, it
might
> appear as though Ive squatted the domain after they announced their
> carbondown project, but I was first.
>
> Does this mean I should really be taking out a trademark here in
the
> UK? Is this where the discussion of rights to domains leads? Should
> all people building a 'brand' via a website, vlog, show etc, be
> trademarking their name to cover themselves? Probably yes, but its
> dull oldworld stuff that involves cost and lawyers and having to
get
> the right classification, and other things thich arent usually at
the
> forefront of the minds of people who wanna do this stuff?
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@> wrote:
> >
> > I don't like to do this, and I'm not even particularly fired up,
but
> > I think it needs to be said.
> >
> > Somebody bought up Twittervlog.com in May - and Twittervlog.net -
 and
> > Twittervlog.org - anonymously, of course.
> >
> > This was a while after I started Twittervlog at
Twittervlog.blogspot.com

> > They correctly predicted that one day I'd want to move to my
own
> > domain.  In fact, I thought I'd bought Twittervlog.com, but
something
> > went wrong with the transaction, and then I forgot to do it
again.
> > And then this person pounced.
> >
> > Happily, I much prefer to be at Twittervlog.tv - so it's worked
out OK.

> > Oh, except for when my non-tech friends and family get confused
and
> > just type in Twittervlog.com and get a Godaddy advertising
holding page.

> > I thought MAYBE it was someone who knew my site, or maybe it was
just
> > someone random who was buying up domains that began with
Twitter -