Other films have used camcorders for some of the footage. 28 Days Later,
Tadpole, Dancer in the Dark, Blair Witch Project (ok, bad example).

Of course, "camcorder" is a pretty broad term these days. A $3,000-6,000
HDV video camera can be considered a "camcorder" to film producers used
to using $50,000-200,000 film cameras.

My opinion: The trailer had to be shot with something that can do 1080i
or 1080p. I watched the 480p trailer at apple.com, and it looked damn good.

Battlestar Galactica is shot in 720p video, using that same hand-held
feel. I've seen the Panasonic AG-HVX200 pop-up in their
behind-the-scenes footage (and the characters playing news reporters
carry them) ... that's a $6k camera.

So it can be done, as long as you have a broad definition of "Camcorder" :)

--
Brian Richardson
 - http://siliconchef.com