my FCP will not render the h.264 files at all
though they will come into the sequence and are editable
i just can't watch them. which is kind of dumb for editing
but if i'm doing just a quick cut, it's fine and exports fine.

for *actual* editing
i have been converting all clips to dv and editing them that way.
i use QT pro because mpeg streamclip does something weird with the aspect
ratio (it doesnt like going from 640x480 to 720x480) and the quality is a
little darker than QT Pro
so yeah, i do them one by one because my Compressor program is forever
broken and won't launch.
that's my method.
works great, other than it's a wee bit time consuming doing it one by one.

-ryanne

On 8/7/07, David Meade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Hi all,
>
> I recently got an xacti that stores H.264 .mp4 files. However when I
> import
> them into FCE, it gives a two-dialog-box-error if I try to preview the
> clip
> in the viewer (without first taking them to the timeline). (see attached
> screenshots). If I drag them right to the timeline I don't get the error,
> but cannot hear the sound until the clips are fully rendered.
>
> This isn't really a deal breaker, but its (really) annoying to have to
> drag
> a bunch of long clips to the time line and render them all just to find
> the
> bits/clips you wanted.
>
> Have others seen this, and if so what (if any) workaround /
> work-flow-adjustments have you made?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Dave
>
> --