You've successfully launched and sold several media properties, Mr.
Calacanis. You've also got a company, Mahalo, that has a marketing budget.
In my opinion, folks in your league should pay for advice instead of getting
it for free. It's not like you're a Rocketboom or a Epic--FU/Jetset,
starting from the ground up on a shoestring, in the community with the rest
of us, and including us in the conversation by asking one or some of us join
you at Mahalo on a contractural or full-time basis to help you gain
subscribers. You are a not a regular participant on this list, and I've seen
nothing of value come from you since I've been subscribed. While it doesn't
break any rules for you to come ask this question, I find it rather
insulting for you to do so without offering a gig or valuable advice to one
or some of the people in this community.

At best, you're getting free consulting that devalues the hard-earned
expertise of people here. At worst, you're using this medium as a gimmick to
start conversation about Mahalo Daily. Both are pretty gross.

And here's my question to the group:

When does community-based advice to peers end and when does free consulting
to professionals begin? Or, in other words, when do we start devaluing our
own experience and expertise by giving it away gratis to people who could
afford to pay for it?  This is my biggest question as social media rises and
communities help more and more with building of companies.

--
Jeffrey Taylor
Mobile: +33625497654