--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> You've successfully launched and sold several media properties, Mr.
> Calacanis. You've also got a company, Mahalo, that has a marketing budget.
> In my opinion, folks in your league should pay for advice instead of getting
> it for free. It's not like you're a Rocketboom or a Epic--FU/Jetset,
> starting from the ground up on a shoestring, in the community with the rest
> of us, and including us in the conversation by asking one or some of us join
> you at Mahalo on a contractural or full-time basis to help you gain
> subscribers. You are a not a regular participant on this list, and I've seen
> nothing of value come from you since I've been subscribed. While it doesn't
> break any rules for you to come ask this question, I find it rather
> insulting for you to do so without offering a gig or valuable advice to one
> or some of the people in this community.

Well, all the advice coming in is 100% transparent and open so we all benefit
from it. It's
not like I'm asking folks to tell me in a private email and hoarding the
information.

Also, I think folks have the option of NOT answering.

In the other businesses I've run (i.e. Weblogs, Inc., Netscape/Propeller) I
used the same
process of being 100% transparent and giving out MORE information then I got
in. Check
my sharing of AdSense learnings on calacanis.com over the years. I gave out all
our
secrets and got rewarded with advice and good will over the long term.

If something works I feel like sharing it is the best way to maximize value...

> At best, you're getting free consulting that devalues the hard-earned
> expertise of people here.

Really? How so?!? I actually think it gives folks the chance to showcase their
talent (if  they
want to). On LinkedIn Answers I got over a dozen responses and many of those
were very
good (ones here were better on average). Those folks all get to look smart and
I think they
would get more work from it.

> When does community-based advice to peers end and when does free consulting
> to professionals begin? Or, in other words, when do we start devaluing our
> own experience and expertise by giving it away gratis to people who could
> afford to pay for it?  This is my biggest question as social media rises and
> communities help more and more with building of companies.

Well, I think everyone can answer this for themselves by either giving or
hoarding
information. It's an individual decision... some folks do blogs giving tons of
advice
understanding that they will get increased consulting gigs from it, other folks
have
enough consulting gigs and decide to hold their advice close to their vest.

Different strokes..

best j