> Joanna Shields of Bebo is quoted in that article as saying "As more
> and more interesting content from major media brands becomes
> available ..."

... from the few Mega Media Conglomerates

> REALLY? I've got 1,000 channels and find it extremely difficult to
> find anything interesting to watch.  There're gobs and gobs of
> stultifying treacle and palaver, but very little that qualifies
> as 'interesting.' And there sure doesn't seem, ever, to be 'more and
> more' of it.  Rather, it seems there's ever less and less spread
> thinner and thinner and reheated, rehashed and re-served.

I almost stopped reading here, then I felt a bit foolish, your
thoughts are about a sticky subject, any attempt by me to persuade you
to continue or elaborate or expand or provide examples or expound or
evangelize or preach or persuade would be ass kissing

> In the same article we're told Tom Green is a "professional."
> REALLY?  His comedy bores me.  "Ask a Ninja" is funnier as
> is "Unleashed" and many other "amateur" internet programs.  So, maybe
> Tom Green is the amateur and the creators of those shows are
> the "professionals."

Tom Green, Tome Greens, Tom Greene,
hello hello hello ... Tom Grenius!! The man is a
comedic/technological/freaking GENIUS. I hope the networks have a
whole lineup of shows just like Tom Green

> Yeah, that's it.  You and me, we are the "professionals."  Whether
> you consider yourself a "content creator" or "producer"
> or "videographer" or "vlogger" or any other name that describes what
> you do making videos for online consumption, you are a "professional"
> if you want to be.  And here's how:

I do, I really do ... closing eyes.

> "Professional" as we use it today is a co-opted, bastardized term,
> roughly meaning "expert" or "someone who gets paid for something."
> Thus, you are a "professional clown" if you get paid for being a
> clown, much like the "anchors" on your nightly network news program.
> And, if everyone you know calls you an "ass," then you're
> a "professional ass" because you're really expert at it.

Do compliments count as credibility toward the designation Professional?

> Originally, to be a professional, one needed to be a member of
> the "learned arts," namely divinity, law, and medicine.  And for a
> long time after that, a professional was anyone who passed a rigorous
> qualifying exam of mental skill.  Thus, if you were a doctor, lawyer,
> CPA, engineer, or actuary, you were a professional, but you couldn't
> be a "professional garbage man."  It was a status designation.

Wow, you just marginalized a small but growing segment of the
scientific community. Garbage is no longer a 7 letter word, or
something that sparks snickering or nausea ... I think you should
rethink who you want to single out here ... just saying

> But that's all changed now.  You're a "professional" at what you get
> paid for.  Thus, Tiger Woods is a "professional golfer" because he
> gets paid to golf and a NYC sanitation worker is a "professional
> sanitation engineer."  And if you have ever made $.01 from blip.tv or
> any other revenue sharing video site or you're just really good at it
> (and aren't we all?) then you're a "professional ________" whatever
> you want to call it.

Perhaps you or a loved one needs certification issued by a self
certified, certificate issuer, if so, seek no more. I never mentioned
it here before but ... if you send me proof of earnings (yes it's true
even One Red Cent) from any site that payed you and $49.95 (plus
Shipping handling and all applicable taxes), I will send you a
beautiful (suitable for framing) anything you want to be certified as
a professional. You won't find an offer online from me, like that
anywhere ... I guarantee that

> However you fill in that blank, I hope you don't fill in "content
> creator."  That term is impersonal and abstract.  We're artists,
> storytellers, diarists, filmmakers, journalists, videographers,
> photographers, what have you.  "Content creator" suggests some awful
> bladder hooked up to hoses, ingesting material and
> extruding "content."

Hey ... Bladder. Kidney. Whatever ...  I made this joke first ...
remember? Two girls One cup ... metaphor for "Consumerism" ....
"Recycled Content" come on ... don't let this David "Casting guy"
distract you with his clever observation and well written post.

Where did they find those "Two Girls"?

Oh and this week at WalledMart buy One Cup, Get the Second Cup Free,
That's like getting 50% off two cups!!

Enjoyed the read