On Nov 27, 2007, at 1:50 PM, softballjunk wrote:

> To see the affiliate program go to
> http://www.ilovetalkingbooks.com/affiliate-signup.html
>
> To see a video on how the affiliate program actually helps your google
> rating go to
> http://mirror1.build-an-empire.com/videos/ContentDirect/ContentDirect.html

Hi folks,

This brings up a point that relates to videoblogging that I have been
thinking about.  I would appreciate feedback on it.

I have been working with the folks who own http://ironweedfilms.com.
I help with their website (it's Drupal).

They have a subscription DVD service that I'm also a member of and
enjoy.  I get a DVD every month with some great independent films like
Blue Vinyl, Favela Rising and An Unreasonable Man, plus various shorts.

One of the reasons I like Ironweed is that they share back to the
creators (although, sometimes this is a distributor and so how rev
share happens in that case depends on the agreement with
distributor).  I also like that they organize and associate each
release with an actionable causes and sponsors such as Breast Cancer
Action or Mother Jones.

IW has an affiliate program.  They pay something like $8 for each
subscription referred and $2/month for up to a year for each month the
referral stays a subscriber.  I have no idea how this compares to
other programs (the one at ILTB mentioned 15%, which is pretty close
to IW's rate). I know some folks on this list are Dreamhost
affiliates.  How is that working out for you?

For big traffic sites this seems like it could be worth while, but
when I talk with friends about the idea, few seem to think it is worth
the trouble just for a few bucks.  One thought I had for IW, was to
make it so affiliates could designate that collected fees be donated
to causes they want to support.  This could save some payment fees and
lots of small contributions could add up to something significant.

I was wondering about offering trailers on the IW site that people
could embed or remix for use on their own site and that optionally
channels affiliate earnings to designated non-profit.

Does that kind of affiliate model seem interesting to anyone here?

Thanks for any feedback.

Markus