--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> One of the reasons I like Ironweed is that they share back to the
> creators (although, sometimes this is a distributor and so how rev
> share happens in that case depends on the agreement with
> distributor).  I also like that they organize and associate each
> release with an actionable causes and sponsors such as Breast Cancer
> Action or Mother Jones.

I like this too. Noticing that several manufactures/corporations are
starting to promote products with a portion of profit/retail price
benefiting a cause. Some can be kinda funny match ups or use awkward
copy in the pitch. The only thing I find wrong with this model is that
the corporation is gaining a tax deduction. Perfect world ... the
charitable intent is not motivated just to gain customers,
increase/promote public relations.

Often on this list I see people working on projects that (IMO) would
make perfect partners.

http://marblejars.com for instance. I think it is a unique and clever
idea. Partnering with folks on this list that sell a product or
service could help promote Robert's Marble Jar effort by putting
Marbles in a "Charity Only" jar in the customers name (the Charity Jar
or the Marbles are Branded with the Biz Name - like a banner exchange
- and the customer can then place those Marbles in the jar of a
Charity they choose. This is off teh top of my head and meant only as
a way to spark a discussion.

> IW has an affiliate program.  They pay something like $8 for each
> subscription referred and $2/month for up to a year for each month the
> referral stays a subscriber.  I have no idea how this compares to
> other programs (the one at ILTB mentioned 15%, which is pretty close
> to IW's rate). I know some folks on this list are Dreamhost
> affiliates.  How is that working out for you?

I like affiliate programs ... I think customer loyalty rewards will be
a bigger model in the near future. Some companies do this already, but
there is so much more that can be done along these lines that will
attract and retain.

> For big traffic sites this seems like it could be worth while, but
> when I talk with friends about the idea, few seem to think it is worth
> the trouble just for a few bucks.  One thought I had for IW, was to
> make it so affiliates could designate that collected fees be donated
> to causes they want to support.  This could save some payment fees and
> lots of small contributions could add up to something significant.

I look at a site like Marble Jars and it seems like it would make a
good start as a solution to that "few seem to think it is worth the
trouble"

> I was wondering about offering trailers on the IW site that people
> could embed or remix for use on their own site and that optionally
> channels affiliate earnings to designated non-profit.

Sparked my imagination ... mash up a bunch of "drinking while driving"
clips for a M.A.D.D. charitable donation. Wide shots of landscapes,
nature, scenery and vistas for "Keep America Beautiful" or domestic
animals for a pet adoption charity.

> Does that kind of affiliate model seem interesting to anyone here?

Yeah it does ... look forward to reading other's opinion