> Verdi, that's my point, exactly.  My Canon HV-20 shoots 1440x1080.
> This is why I asked Jake what he has that's going to play it back.
> There's no reason that I can think of that blip should support those
> frame dimensions.

I'm not asking them to support 1440x1080 at 1.33:1 on the Web, I am asking
why they don't convert 1440x1080 1.33:1 properly. Big difference.

The Blip encoder (apparently) assumes the video is 4:3 or some approximation
of that and outputs a 4:3 file instead of respecting the aspect ratio of the
video. You'd have the same problem with a video shot with one of the
standard def camcorders that records a 720x480 widescreen mode. With
millions of devices shooting files of these dimensions, I'm not asking for a
fringe case exception to the rule.

> Jake, if all those media players play back your 1440x1080 file in the
> correct dimensions (meaning that if you filmed a square, it looks like
> a square, and not a rectangle in Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc),
> then I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is inconsistent experience. And you make my point as to why Blip
(or anyone else) should do the conversion correctly. Let's say I opt to
leave my file at 1440x1080 because I want to deliver a pixel for pixel
consistent experience with what I shot. If I make my RSS delivered file
1440x1080 1.33:1 the people who download the video will get the experience I
intended because there media player will handle the file correctly because
Blip merely hosts the file. The people who watch it on the Web will get a
squished 4:3 experience.

> I'm not knocking your desire to have a file hosted in those
> dimensions. :)  I'm trying to understand what the benefit is to you of
> having a file like that hosted.

There are many potential benefits, one being more bits per pixel than
stretching the 1440x1080 image to 1920x1080. There's a reason HDV records to
1440x1080 instead of 1920x1080 - at the required compression rate to fit on
a MiniDV tape it looks better and you get efficiencies of encoding.

HDV is not the only video medium that does this - many television shows are
delivered this way (although you'd likely never know it), which doesn't make
it right but is also an indication that I'm not simply being obtuse.

> For example, if someone posted that they were trying to get blip to
> host 60x200 videos, I would assume they were trying to make videos
> that fit as banner ads.

Which would be an entirely different scenario. I'm not asking for support of
dimensions not native to camcorders. If a camcorder shot at 60x200, then
yes, they should support it. I have options of outputting a finished file
from at least a half dozen programs that all result in a 1440x1080 1.33:1
file.

Jake Ludington

http://www.jakeludington.com