At 16:26 2008-04-04, you wrote:
>The specs are on the Apple site:
>
><http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html>
>
>"Video: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per
>second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with
>AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and
>.mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30
>frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio
>up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file
>formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames
>per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz,
>stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats"
>
>So I don't have experience with old iPods.  I've put video with these
>data rates on 5th Gen iPods and also the iPod Nano which I'm using
>right now.
>
>If you want some examples, you can try my iTunes feed.
>
>Bill
>http://BillCammack.com

Well I knew that, but nowhere in QT Pro's options does it mention 'Low
complexity'
and on http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2007/tn2188.html it specifically
says

"The Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile has been defined by
Apple for the iPod "

which would suggest that it is not standard vanilla baseline.

That page refers one to wikipedia for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles
which, in turn, says:
"Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch support H.264 Baseline Profile, Levels 2.1 and
3, at resolutions up to 480x320 or 640x480 and bitrates up to 1.5 Mbit/s and is
capable of playing the YouTube video content." with a ref to
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/20youtube.html which is pr fluff and
doesn't say anything that specific, and doesn't mention classic or LC at all.

I do see in the handy table provided that (number in brackets is max stored
frames)

level 1.3 = [EMAIL PROTECTED] (6) @ 768 kbit/s
level 2.1 = [EMAIL PROTECTED] (7) @ 4 Mbit/s
level 3   = [EMAIL PROTECTED] (6) @ 10 Mbit/s

which would lead me to believe that that claim is a little far-fetched.

It appears a little odd that one can use the straight h.264 option in QTPro can
be used to
create smaller baseline files than the ipod 'low complexity' option. Maybe low
is relative in this aspect?

Why don't apple explain things more clearly I wonder

Joly

             WWWhatsup NYC