Steve, thanks for seeing the scandalous part as a comment on art.  I
truly didn't mean to insult your wife.  I know that RTNDA thing was
hard for her.  The "human potatoes" kept pushing her into the role of
a journalist.  I know you guys know you're entertainers.  Or
entertainment journalists.  Or something like that.  And you don't
want to replace real journalists.  However, I believe the corporate
interests would love to see that happen.

I'll try to explain my thinking.

An open internet makes it near impossible to charge money for media
that can be represented digitally.  No longer can huge media
conglomerates count on being able to promote the hell out of their
garbage and turn a profit.  People will just download the hype for free.

This is exciting.  It appears as if the playing field has been
leveled.  Small timers who weren't making money in the first place can
now compete with the media giants.  A good idea will spread across the
open web, at least that's the hope.  But small timers aren't going to
have an easy time monetizing their digital products either.  It's a
media crisis.

Capitalists don't see crisis- they see opportunity.  It's not about
coming together and finding fair solutions for communities.  It's
about turning profit.

This crisis is a wet dream for marketers.  Media becomes all about the
metrics.  Just find the content with the highest hit count and cover
it with ads.  You no longer have to worry about quality.  You just
worry about the positioning of the clickable ad.  In this new game,
the perfect content is titillating and exciting but lacking in any
real substance or depth.  Get the web surfers in and make sure the ad
is there for them when they get bored or when the two minutes is up.
That's why it's now possible to make an easy $6000 by putting ads on
top of promos.  Ask Tim Street how it's done.

Kent laid out some good advice for content creators during his keynote
at Pixelodeon.  Boil things down to the essential.  Make it like a
pill.  Edit out the boring parts.  Make it faster than you think you
should.  Produce consistently.  "Quick quick quick fast fast fast".

But what might be good advice for content creators is horrible for
artists and intellectuals and real journalists.   Read Kent's blog
post where he calls David Lynch a tool and tells him to make content
that plays well on a 320 by 240 window.

http://kentnichols.com/2008/01/05/david-lynch-is-a-tool/

Or watch as he tells Salman Rushdie that all scholarly resources
should be on the web so the authors get a nickel (from an ad, I assume).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1Y1BY19Vw

Kent's success has put him in a leadership position. He gives the
keynotes.  He gets his show mentioned in articles about successful
online video.  He rubs shoulders with CEOs at the Google Zeitgeist
conference and tells them what they should be doing in web 2.0.

When our heroes fail us, they deserve our special scorn.

@Kent,

I ain't gonna hurt you or Douglas.  Like I said in the video, I use
words.  But go ahead and get a restraining order.  That'll make you
look cool.  And it certainly won't draw any attention to Information
Dystopia.

- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -