way back when i was working in tv studios chroma key blue had just
been 'discovered'.  nowadays we at dyna-flix use green - usually
large fabric drops.

blue is more likely to appear in what you are shooting - eye color,
blue jeans etc. and cause problems.  green does not naturally occur
on humans.

backlighting your subjects with a yellow light is likely to reduce
the 'aura', or at least replace it with a halo.  what 'color' light
are you shooting in?  fluorescent is green, halogen is blue,
incandescent is yellow - if you play around with what color light you
put where you could eliminate the halo.

does your software have 'spill supression'?

as to cheap light, we got two double 8' fluroescent fixtures made
from porcelain coated steel ( a junkyard find with spare bulbs!) that
look like something from a Star Wars set. we just stand them up
against a wall, let them be part of the set.   they make all my still
shots look green, but the video camera white balance can handle them.