Thanks for this list, Brook - that's really helpful.
I've had problems with Lacie drives.  And yet I've still bought more.
My initial thought about your problem is that given that it repeats
on all your drives, regardless of manufacturer, it's something to do
with your computer - your ports or some software problem, or a cable,
or a setting.