Digital does NOT last forever....I remember reading an article last
year about some companies who were early adopters in the digital
realm, CD's, etc....and they have found that some data is gone or is
being corrupted, something to do with the protective film on the CD's
(if I am remembering correctly)  The point is that at some point all
data digital or otherwise will fail...nothing last's forever....at
least not yet....

Heath
http://batmangeek.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "humancloner1997"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's not "beside the point" at all.  I'm now realizing how fragile
> data is.  My old PC crashed twice in years past.  Since I got my
Mac a
> couple years ago, I've been splendidly complacent.
>
> Some friends who work as professional video editors producing
> documentaries for Cable Channels tell me that "every drive
eventually
> fails".
>
> Now, they work on them all day, every day.  Do drives "age" & "fail"
> when they are just being used for storage?  Mechanics have told me
> that a car sitting at the curb deteriorates just-as/even-more
quickly
> than one that's driven a lot.
>
> It's something I haven't researched.  I've been working with video
> since 1970.  I discovered that even different brands of VHS tape
> differed in their life-expectancy.  (TDK VHS tapes played 20 years
> later while others did not.)
>
> I know digital images are supposed to "last forever" but none of us
> are going to live long enough to check that declaration out.  I'd
hate
> to one day go to my "back-up files" and find they had deteriorated.
>
> One final note, Lacie suggests not using their drive with Time
Machine