Drew,  great post, especially the talent part.  I've been dying to start my
own video work back up but I'm good at some things and I totally suck at
some other things and know that the answer is collaboration.  If anyone
wants to work collaboratively on a weekly show in the bay area, lemme know.
I'd love to contribute to something like that.  Doing it on my own means I
only post sporadically and I know what I'm putting out there could be a hell
of a lot better with more people to bounce ideas off of.
Cheers,
Robyn

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Drew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   " What concerns me most of all is that we really need companies like
> > Revision3 to succeed. The independent content creator, and in turn,
> > independent production companies and studios, are really being
> > overshadowed by the efforts of the Hollywood studios and entertainment
> > conglomerates. For example, look at the lineups at Digital Hollywood
> > and the NewTeeVee Live conferences -- there was a terrible lack of
> > independent content creators sitting on panels alongside people from
> > LucasFilm and Hulu."
>
> This is a major concern I have too, maybe the biggest issue on the table.
>
> I don't really think of Revision3 as independent. They are "new", like a
> new cable station,
> but they have been trying to emulate an old model of TV and they are owned
> now by
> investors, so their #1 mission is likely to sell to a mainstream entity.
> This is going to be an
> uphill battle if rumors are true that this setback happened not due to an
> economic
> meltdown, but because they did not receive their next, anticipated round of
> funding.
>
> In case anyone didn't notice, the people who you tend to think of as
> independent, like
> Kevin Rose, for instance, has no control whatsoever over the company and
> apparently no
> say even. From his blog post, we can infer that he didn't even know about
> the layoffs until
> he was told by Jim, without discussion. Maybe Kevin should be more
> involved, that might
> help. Not sure.
>
> Nevertheless, setting aside Rev3, what is starting to happen is that Hulu
> and iTunes for
> instance are becoming so popular, that they are starting to control the
> programming for
> the masses. ***Hulu is a place where MOST people are not allowed to
> distribute.*** Same
> old game as before. Because Hulu is becoming so popular, it's starting to
> divide and this is
> destructive not only for independents, but for the future of media in
> general. Why cant
> Hulu continue to curate their favorite content in the same way, but allow
> anyone to
> distribute on a back channel like iTunes? Probably because they believe in
> a business
> model that will not include open and democratic media. It's their right to
> be closed, but
> it's a decision that hurts the world for no gain and its gross.
>
> When people say things like Hulu is for "professional" content while
> YouTube is for "User
> Generated Content", the world is suffering even more and becoming further
> divided by a
> stark line between the two.
>
> The biggest threat of all is coming in tandem as Comcast started capping
> internet plans.
> [...]

Robyn Tippins
510-579-5558 cell
Community Manager, Yahoo! Developer Network
Sleepyblogger.com | Gamingandtech.com | twitter: duzins