Drew,
Good thoughts.

I'd ignore hulu etc in the context of the "independent" scene.
It's a consortium of old media getting their content on the net.
I've written about how I feel that it is a flawed strategy overall but
certainly accomplishes some goals for those involved.  hulu, as popular as
it has become, will always struggle with the costs of their popularity and
the cost of the content and the lack of exclusivity rights etc.  i would not
put it out of the realm of possibility that hulu.com (the website) will
eventually phase itself out as the primary destination and become "part" of
the backend infrastructure for the content owner websites themselves (nbc,
fox etc).  i've always felt that surfing the web for TV shows should not
have to be any different than surfing your TV for TV shows.  You go to the
channel that has the show you want to watch.  simple.  done.  a website is
that enhanced channel... and often is accessed on a TV as well.  the merge
is happening.. slowly but surely.  "web tv".
hulu also has competitors in the backend infrastructure arena.  take a look
at abc.com which is powered by http://www.movenetworks.com.

so i am actually happy that hulu exists.  always knew i would benefit from
it since i dont subscribe to cable TV except in October for baseball.  So
more Internet options for me is great.  And as a company, they are
different.  Not a typical "online video startup" (joint venture between NBC
Universal and News Corp).  It will probabaly get absorbed by one of the
partners anyway or phased out or whatever.  point is, hulu is NOT important
to the independent scene.  Be glad it exists while it exists and then be
glad that you can watch TV on the channels websites etc etc.  TV on the
web.  yay!

i agree that we need Rev3 type of companies to exist and do well.  and I
agree that we need to carefully look at the bandwidth control issue.  and I
also agree that in ways, we are where we were 4 years ago... as far as
needing innovation and pioneers for the independent media scene.  though we
probably dont need to discuss what a vlog is anymore :)

the quality of content is ALWAYS critical.  so whether you are into making
internet/tech/youth/entertainment culture tpye of news shows or you are
making short films or documentaries or whatever.... it's gotta obviously be
good if you are needing an audience (you are spending money, have started an
actual company and have a staff etc).

not much of this has to do with personal vlogging where youtube has become
the mecca but also still many blogs out there with authors putting up their
own videos.  that's still the "audience of ten" genre.

maybe rocketboom should be more involved?  what better company than yours?
sure there is blip.tv but they are no rocketboom.  it may be too late for
them in a sense.... to be much help here.  yes no maybe?

sull