I agree that it is a finate resourse to a point...however, some of
the caps being floated, given where the internet is headed is very
low.  And in a previous email, I do state that I know this practice
is very much in play outside the states.

But given the fact we have companies who are trying to run TV over
the internet, in Hi Def mind you, these companies are "selling" to us
the "Bigger is better", mantra.....I mean how many times in this own
fourm have people stated "Traditional TV is dead, it's all going to
come over the internet"....well that can't happen at 5 gigs or 8 gigs
a month....

And I understand about compression, but even a highly compressed HD
file is still rather large......

Understand it's not so much "today" I am worried about, it's next
year or the year after that.....

Heath  "The Artist"
www.??????.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Not sure I have tthis right but if it is a monthly cap then this
is
> the norm here in Australia and always has been. Has been one of
the
> reasons why I argue very strongly for proper compression and also
> other aesthetic requirements in videoblogging. I get 8GB a month,
but
> have the advantage of a university job during the day. A feature
film
> is around 500MB, so that's 16 features a month, which if you're a
AV
> professional is not much, but for the majority is probably in the
ball
> park.
>
> However, I am going to poke the possum here (colloquial Australian
> expression, stir up things if you like).
>
> I don't understand why there is an attitude where bandwidth is
treated
> as infinite and not a finite resource. It is a finite resource.
Data
> and digital duplication of our material is trivial, but
transferring
> that to other places is not. For example, even in Australia the
> majority of our schools have quite poor bandwidth, and if I want
my
> work to be viewed in regional Australia (and for that matter parts
of
> rural United States) then I have to be aware that bandwidth is
> constrained. Now bandwidth might be fast or slow, but it does have
> width, and it is a material infrastructure with its associated
costs.
> Just as with telephony there are international, national, and
local
> agreements about how much a byte costs, and while the telcos might
> make lots from it (or not), the pipes are not infinite.
>
> Treating it as infinite leads to what I teach my students is
> "bandwidth pollution". Emails with stupid large attachments,
videos
> that run to gigabytes. First industrialised world bandwidth
arrogance
> is the internet equivalent of cheap oil (the analogy is simply if
oil
> is finite, but cheap, then there is little incentive not to use it,
in
> spite of it's inevitable disappearance and of course the pollution
it
> is causing). The solution then becomes simply adding more. More
> cables, more electricity to run it all, and presumably more time
for
> us to actually view all this extra material (I know, that's
> facetious). Here in my state we used to (20 years ago) think that
> water was infinite, and you pretty much got it for free. Then they
> started charging for it, on the reasonable basis that a) some
people
> used more than others so if you had a swimming pool and fancy
garden
> why shouldn't you pay more? and b) it required expensive
> infrastructure which needed to be paid for and c) it might
encourage
> water conversation. We are now in a major and prolonged drought
with
> substantial water restrictions. The governments response is to
spend
> billions on desalination and pipelines (bigger fatter pipes)
instead