This is the only point I was going to make.  You're all doing a fine
job of debating the other politics.  But make no mistake: your videos
are melting the ice caps. A McKinsey study this year estimated that
data centers will be bigger polluters than airlines by 2020.

See:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/data-centers-are-becoming-
big-polluters-study-finds/
or
http://tinyurl.com/datapollution

Streaming video and audio make up 20%+ of all internet traffic.  Half
of that (10%+ of all traffic) is YouTube.  P2P makes up 40%+.

It's a resource like anything else.

You can switch to Solar Powered hosting - via someone like AISO.net
or SolarEnergyHost.com
Dreamhost use the more debatable carbon credits.
But none of your video hosts like Blip or YouTube or Vimeo are green
in any way, as far as I know.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 10-Nov-08, at 3:00 AM, Adrian Miles wrote:

On 10/11/2008, at 1:36 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

 > Limiting the size of my video is NOT like polluting less with a
 > gasoline car.
 > It may be nice to keep videos small so anyone around the world can
 > watch it, but this is NOT a proper scientific comparison.

no it's not, and like all analogies it breaks once it's pushed. On the
other hand broadband is a material infrastructure, and those cables
are derived from petrochemicals, and the power we need to drive google
and our server farms etc really are polluting. I mean this quite
literally.