Hi,

I'm brand new to the list. Located in Brisbane, Australia. For the
past few years I've been a podcaster and  I produce a few podcasts on
various topics. I also have recorded a few public gatherings for web
sharing....

While I used to deploy slideshows and digital presentations in my
blogs as well as sharing a selected range of videos grabbed from all
over, it was only very recently I switched to video mode in my out and
about.

While I'm waiting for my mini dv camera to come back from the shop, my
main tool has been  an Olympus FE-270 digital camera. I stuck a bit of
windsock to the inbuilt mic to suppress wind turbulence  and started
shooting.

The irony is that despite all the drawbacks I rather appreciate the
ease of this little digital camera as I could plug in into any usb
port to upload the files.(I half think I should have got one of those
digital camera hybrids like the Canon Powershot!)

So I'm still interested in video shot on digital cameras. I'm also
interested in sound recording options using minidisc recorders. I see
where there has been some exchanges on that matter here.

 Already , out and about, I'm starting to run my Minidisc recorder at
the same time as I shoot video so that I get a separate audio AND a
visual record of the event(which I can podcast two --either/both --
ways)*. But I'm hoping to use the MD as a unit between my microphones
and the mini dv camera when I get the thing back from repairs.

But there's one thing that strikes me vis a vis video
podcasting/blogging and audio podcasting/blogging: editing video is so
much easier to do (and do well) than editing audio because there's
these easy to follow visual markers.

I find it a bit amazing actually: video editing is a breeze compared
to all the reviewing you have to do with audio tracts alone.

Video is another language of course and you need less in the way of
orchestrated inputs to 'set the scene' or advance the narrative.

Now I thought that audio podcasting covered a lot of options in way of
 themes -- from the personal monologue, to interviews, to whatever
really. I'm not too keen on the audio podcasts that package the views
of one person talking as so often they don't have much of value to say
unless it is carefully pitched  to explore a set topic. But video --
vlogging -- is strangely intimate, and so much more engaging than one
voice over the web.

It's a very different type of communication -- different again from
what you are exposed to on television. (And if you want to get into
this topic, what stimulated me the most was the work of Iranian film
director, Abbas Kiarostami, whose "10" changed my perception of video
completely).

It is a very personal medium and I find it much easier to relax in
front of a video camera than I can with a microphone stuck under my
nose recording just audio.

I also never thought that video would take off on the web the way it
has. The side effect of that, it seems to me, is that there is still a
lot of respect paid to being succinct and to the point -- if only to
keep file size down.

The other difference is that video lasts longer -- has a longer shelf
life -- on the web -- than audio. This is partly due to the fact that
video is easier to locate, but it is also a medium than is not treated
as something esoteric, maybe even archaic, as audio seems to often be.

While I may respect audio and radio especially as a medium it doesn't
mean that everyone is going to want to listen as I do to 'x' number of
podcasts each and every week.

So I'm in the process of moving from podcasting & blogging -- text
plus audio -- to a setup where I utilize more vlogging ad I reckon
there is magical wisdom in the multimedia mix.

dave riley

*I run the audio recoding all the time and select what I want to shoot.