Yeah, Rupert it was your video that got me to thinking about all this
even more than I currently was.  Again I go back to there are some
things I like, I think you can create a community with the blog
format and it's easy...I think for me, it's more the layout than
anything and I just want easier ways for people to connect with my
older stuff.

I have some other ideas as well, but I want to flesh them about a bit
first...

And also, it's knowing what you want to do...I mean I like the
personal aspect of vlogging, I like Rupert, Jay, Ryanne, Michael,
Robert, Croma, David Meade, Bekah, Cheryl, Clintus, etc etc...I like
watching those guys and gals, so I would never want that personal
side to go away...I do wish we could figure out how to be more
communal with our approach and sites....I mean that was the whole
thing behind my "Vids I Like" tab on my site....but does anyone ever
check out that?  How do I also show the things and stuff I like from
other people on my front page, where most of the action happens?...

Great thoughts so far from everyone....I love it!!

Heath
http://heathparks.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did a video rant about this a couple of weeks ago.
>
> I've been thinking about different layouts and ways of presenting
> things since then.
>
> Great thoughts, Ron - particularly what you note how we're
> comfortable with line-by-line communication in a vertical format,
but
> how it's limited the success of the traditional videoblog - and
how
> daunting it is for a viewer to face a bunch of videos in a line
down
> the page.
>
> I've seen this problem when watching people go to my videoblog.
> It's not just a problem for the viewer, it's a problem for the
producer.

> Reading your post made me realise how much I've forced myself to
like
> the blog format because that's what everyone uses - even though
> initially I thought it sucked.  But when we started out, it was
the
> easiest way to do publishing and podcasting.
>
> Now I've totally fallen out of love with the blog format.  So much
so
> that I can't seem to drum up the motivation to put any energy into
> making videos until I can feel good about how I publish them.
>
> I've been thinking about the successful shows you mentioned - FU,
> Ninja, Rocketboom.  Wreck & Salvage and LoFi St Louis have good
new
> designs, too - which encourage people to browse more freely and
don't
> force the reader to deal with this heirarchy of freshness/relevance.
>
> For me, I think there may be an element of needing more
interlinked
> [...]
> portrait, or blog) which would embrace his theme, keep relevant
> content on the page at all times, be an efficient use of space and
> would let each video (or 2) be it's own story.
>
> I could actually see myself watching all 15 videos with this kind of
> layout if the content was good with some clever storytelling.
>
> Leave me with a cliffhanger, or give me a text based teaser to draw
> me into the next video.
>
> ---
> Community
> ---
> Also, this kind of a layout creates a dialogue. I watch it then I
> talk about it. It's the give and take, the interaction with the
> viewer that we're all looking for.
>
> Let me watch a video and digest it. Then I'll comment on it.
>
> The traditional blog format reminds me of online tit for tat email
> communication that I find becomes 2 dueling monologues. When you
> create a series of communication, or a series of argument, there is
> critical loss of context. We forget what we were talking about. The
> discussion becomes about the minutia or the meta, and the greater
> understanding or message is lost. It quite literally is the
> presentation of parts - the parts are greater than the whole.
>
> I don't think it works well for online communication, and I don't
> think it works well for communicating with multimedia content.
>
> It isolates the viewer, it isolates the content creator, and it
> isolates the content itself.
>
> It looks like it's all connected, but in reality it's just a list.
> It's like a quoted, line by line email argument as opposed to a well
> thought out and crafted piece of prose.
>
> JMHO...
>
> ---
> Tunnel Vision
> ---
>
> I'm in the process of creating a large community website based on
dog
> sports. It's very ambitious, and I'm going to be facing competitors
> that have very deep pockets. It's pretty intimidating, to tell the
> truth.
>
> I'm working very hard to create a really nice looking site that has
> boatloads of functionality.
>
> One of the things that I've struggled with is the organizational
> heirarchy of the site - both in terms of navigation and content
> presentation. It's very hard.
>
> My greatest goal is to bring these heretofore disparate communities,
> 6 of them with very different mindsets but one common passion of
> working with dogs, together.
>
> I took that single mindedness and tried to force my needs, my
comfort
> zone and my goals on them, the enduser. It would have failed.
>
> I wanted a simple menu structure that presented content and access
> content from each community on each page. I wound up with a
> convoluted and hard to follow menu structure, kind of like what is
> currently on http://k9disc.com .
>
> It just wasn't compelling, and the goal of elegance and
inclusiveness