I haven't had any problems with Panasonic mini dv tapes for recording HD,
and haven't noticed any quality difference when using HD tapes vs SD tapes
either. Not worth the ~50% markup in my opinion.
Definitely a good idea to stick to one brand per camera though, as has been
mentioned here before. Something about the coating they use to lubricate the
tape is different among the various brands, and can cause jams if you mix
and match. Search the archive for a better explanation.

AQ
wreckandsalvage.com