From: Rupert <rup...@fatgirlinohio.org>
Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Blog World Expo and New Media Conference [
Vloggercon 2009? ]
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, May 14, 2009, 10:49 AM

I'm not sure it's a question of nobody wanting to run it. I think
it's more a question of people not wanting to travel halfway across
the country/world to attend a vlogging event.

You know that I love this community, and so I'm not being negative
about it. Just being realistic about what I see as people's
priorities and interests.

Bill Streeter tried valiantly to organise Vloggercamp last year, and
there was a lot of interest from people signing up on the wiki - but
in the end people just weren't motivated enough to pay the
registration fee, let alone buy plane tickets.

Pixelodeon got quite a few people attending because it was all about
screening lots of videos in a posh venue. But even then most of the
people who attended were from the West, I think. And that was two
years ago, and things have changed in the vlogosphere and in the
economy.

The original Vloggercons and Vloggies worked because of the excitement
of vlogging being so new. I wish I'd been able to attend.

There's a small number of people here who do attend podcamps, new
media expo, etc. The people who make their living from social media
that you see on Twitter constantly tweeting about the latest social
media trends and business opportunities, and telling you how to blog
and make money from blogging. But this doesn't include the majority
of vloggers, I don't think.

And I'm not sure that most of the vloggers I know would be that into
attending a big corporate Las Vegas expo as opposed to something much
more intimate.

What does anybody else think? Maybe Jeffrey could pipe in with his
experience of organising VlogEurope?

Rupert
http://twittervlog. tv