Hello,

I am returning due to these technologies sparking my interest, along with the
looming release of Snow Leopard which Im sure will give me something to talk
about.

That youtube demo is interesting, especially when I compare CPU use. The html 5
example uses way less CPU than the flash version of youtube. With a busy site
like youtube, this has the capacity to reduce waste of electricity in quite a
big way.

Im not quite sure about your compatibility example, because the work was
already done on that issue when youtube started using h264. They can serve the
h264 via flash on the desktop, but on the iphone they can use the video tag to
point to the same h264 file without using flash.

When I tried that youtube test on Safari on Mac it was using a h264 video with
the html5 video tag, not sure if it uses a different format when it detects
firefox. These codec choices for html5 are going to remain messy and get in the
way of things. If the 2010 h264 licensing details turn out to suck then I
suppose that will encourage people to look at alternatives more.

It will certainly be interesting to see what Google do with On2. I would not
get my hopes up too much about theora though, even if Google plan to use it on
youtube or in Chrome browser, its still not going to work on the iphone and
things. So at the very least h264 versions of the videos still need to be made
for iphone & other hardware devices, and I doubt Google want to have to host
and encode lots of different versions of all their videos. Now that h264 is
pretty much everywhere, it will be a lot easier for all concerned, from viewers
to producers, if the h264 new licence terms dont suck much, and we just stick
with this format.

Despite my complete lack of enthusiasm for Theora, I still get very excited
about html5 video tag, and some other things that are proposed for html5.
Recently nightly builds of Webkit on Leopard, and Safari in Snow Leopard,
feature hardware-accelerated transformations of web page elements whih are
really lovely and smooth. Combine these with video and there are some lovely
possibilities. All sorts of fancy stuff that could be done in Flash already,
but this way it looks nicer, is smoother, doesnt eat the CPU and the tools to
make the stuff dont cost loads money. I am looking forward to Flash losing
ground, all the things it can do should really be part of web standards and
handled by the browser, for numerous reasons I have already hinted at.

Here is the demo that impressed me, but you will only see the magic if on a
recent webkit nightly on Leopard or Safari in Snow Leopard:

http://www.satine.org/archives/2009/07/11/snow-stack-is-here/

Cheers

Steve Elbows