> If Google delivers Chrome with an open-source On2 codec, does that
> mean a codec plug-in is NOT required? (I.e., it's built into the
> browser).

Yes, this is what Firefox currently does. Ogg/Theora codec is in the
browser...so an .ogv file will play without downloading a codec. This
is possible because Firefox doesnt have to pay a patent fee for the
codec.

Google could do the same if they chose to opne siurce the newest
codecs (like VP7) made by On2.

> What about all the videos encoded in h.264 (& other formats)..are we
> back to the codec/player wars? Educate me here. We have QT (which
> could play .mov, .mp4, .avi) & WMP (which could play .wmv, .avi, etc),
> which was an Apple VS Microsoft battle. Is Google jumping in, with an
> open-source solution: Chrome + On2?

Yes. But Google could make a big charge here since it controls Youtube
which is often seen as the default "video on the web" platform.

Jay

--
http://ryanishungry.com
http://jaydedman.com