As a full disclosure Tom, Lijit is a previous client of mine.

The Lijit widget is paid for on its end buy advertising.  The reason it
offers up other sites for the serach term is because it will provide
information of the people in your network.

You can configure the search results to default to your own blog initially
and then to your network of friends and their blogs, then to the web etc.  I
am curious whether you also waited until the reports are sent out on Sunday
evening.  It provides valuable information about what searches brought
people to your site, searches that people made on your site that do not
provide results etc.

The Lijit search function also allows people to get to other related search
results within your site that might also interest them  It will increase
your page views from that standpoint.  It may be that they can turn off ads
on your search results and they actually have a revenue share from that
end.  I'll let them answer your questions directly and I know Tara Anderson
and her staff would be happy to answer all the questions to your
satisfaction.  If not let me know and I will help where I can.

Jim Turner

--
Jim Turner
One By One Media, LLC