There is a rich spectrum of problems in this area and I dont see any signs that
any have improved since we first talked about these issues years ago.

Problems such as:

Creating compelling content
Getting an audience large enough to monetize in any meaningful way
Lack of promotion capabilities compared to traditional mass media
People used to getting everything on the net for free
Advertisers being paranoid about content thats not created by the safe
traditional producers
Excessive number of tv channels straining everything from availability of
talent to capacity to tread on new territory to viewers attention spam to
potential audience reach.
Lack of businesses that sell products or services to the same audience as the
show may attract actually realising that they should be throwing money at peole
to produce content for them
Failure of most first generation vlog-stars to capitalise on their early
success and thus be a shining example which would encourage the next generation
Failure of creative people to have enough of a shared vision with eachother and
ability to collaborate on something special over a sustained period without
falling out
Failure of other types of people who could do the business & promotion side to
find happy partnerships with creators
Failure to take advantage of the global aspect of web video in many interesting
ways

As a viewer I remain pissed off that when I go looking for regular compelling
content I suaully find magazine-format programs that dont float my boat for
reasons of my age, the pace of the show, or cultural incompatibilities (eg I
like Americans but where the hell are the British shows not made by existing
media personalities?)

Please can someone cheer me up by posting a few links to some content that
there is a chance I might like (it doesnt need to be British, anything but the
magazine format stuff will do).

Here is my random offering of youtube content Ive found strangely compelling in
recent years:

Doctor of Mind MD:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DOCTOROFMINDMD

Cheers and no offence intended to anyone that makes content - I was always on
dicey ground when sharing these thoughts in the past due to my own lack of
producing any meaningful video on the web but hey ho.

Steve Elbows