> A friend of mine has just made a short film using the Red format. The
> progressive way that the compression works sounds like it might be ideal for
> web video. Imagine you've got a 1GB file - if you only download the first
> 100MB, say, you still get the whole length of the video, but in a lower
> resolution. That's as I understand it, anyway. So imagine a person with a
> slower connection >being able to view your video more or less immediately at
> a lower resolution, or wait for the resolution to build up.

I would love to get confirmation of this fact. As Quirk said,
Silverlight enables this kind of downloading..but I wonder if it can
get its orgins from the actual camera you use.

> There has probably been a lot of discussion here about Red that I've missed!
> For now I'm pretty chuffed with my new HF200 and not having to juggle tapes
> any more. When I convert the video my old single core Dell notebook - the one
> we started Crash >Test Kitchen with in 2004 - can still handle the editing!

We havent spoken about the RED camera much here because no one has one
yet (or admitted to it). We have pointed to the small RED camera that
they're working on that will be pro-sumer. Currently, we've all been
trading examples of what the DLSR's (Mark V/VII + Lumix) can do. A
number of people here arenow using them for their video work. The SLR
lenses seems to really make the difference.

Jay

--
http://ryanishungry.com
http://momentshowing.net