Its interesting stuff. Adobe have offered it for years providing you use their
flash media server. As already mentioned Silverlight can do it, but again you
need some Microsoft tech on the server side. Apple offer it via http streaming
which their more recent iphones, ipad, safari & quicktime can support, and the
big advantage here is that you dont need anything special on the webserver.
Obviously the drawback with the Apple method is that it only works on some
client-side devices.

All of these approaches require that you encode your video using the right
tools, which will enable you to encode the video at more than one bitrate, to
target users with varying bandwidth availability.

Aside from the adaptive/smooth/dynamic bitrate stuff, the other advantage with
this streaming is the ability to jump ahead in the video without waiting for
all the earlier part of the video to download. There may be other ways to do
this though, Im sure youtube does it and Im not sure what technology they use.

As for the Red cameras, generally they create extremely large files compare to
the cameras we are used to, its one of their strengths because it can deliver
great quality but obviously causes some issues with having a beefy enough
machine to do the editing etc. I cant imagine red format files being suitable
for putting on the web at all, as depending on the compression settings chosen
you could easily be looking at 1 second of video creating a file that is 1gb in
size!

Apple HTTP Live Streaming overview:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/StreamingMediaGuide/HTTPStreamingArchitecture/HTTPStreamingArchitecture.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008332-CH101-SW2

Silverlight Smooth Streaming:

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/smoothstreaming/

Dynamic streaming in Flash Media Server:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashmediaserver/articles/dynstream_advanced_pt1.html

Red recoding FAQ:

http://www.red.com/faq/category/redone/redone-recording/

Cheers