Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit perplexed by the complex licensing and pricing structures of
streaming rights, and some of the recent talk on this listserv has helped
clarify a question that's been floating around my mind for a while, so I figure
I'll pose it to the collective wisdom.

If I can buy a DVD for, say, $295.00 and I can keep it forever, and  I'm
allowed to do certain things with it to meet the educational goals of my
institution, then why is it different for a streaming version of the same
title?  Some streaming rights have to be renewed every few years. Or, if there
are perpetual rights they are often priced exorbitantly high.  Doesn't it make
sense to pay the same price as for a DVD (maybe even less since manufacturing
costs wouldn't be an issue) and keep it forever, just like a DVD?  Or even an
e-book.  And, as with  an e-book, I would be bound to restrict access to it
only to members of my institution.

Perhaps this is a gross oversimplification of something that's actually quite
complex, so consider these the innocent (demented?) musings of a newbie, but
I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on the matter.

Yours in hopefully not opening a Pandora's box,

Matt

Matt Ball
Media and Collections Librarian
University of Virginia