If it were anyone but professors I would suggest asking them if the library
should digitize and stream books because it would be cheaper and easier than
buying them, but with professors they would say yes (but probably not THEIR
books).

As I said new non fiction films probably are negotiated so distributors can
sell streaming rights in perpetuity, but older films and nearly all feature
films
not distributed by studios usually limit distribution rights from anywhere
from 5-10 years. Almost all foreign language films are like that. Sometimes
you can go directly to an owner especially if a film has fallen out of
regular distribution. I work on  several films at the moment and the only
ones I could license in perpetuity are the ones where I work with the
director who owns all the rights. The others are foreign and have the
standard 7 year contract.
Trust me it is a bitch for distributors too.