might one ask how it appeared on the site you used? Was it the vendors own
site or a 3rd party site? To me the key is if this was or should have been
clear at the time of purchase?
Personally I think this is just sloppy on the part of the seller. I
understand that filmmakers and distributors of films with fairly limited and
in many cases mostly academic audiences charge higher prices. I also
understand why they may want to let some individuals buy copies for
themselves. It is perfectly legal to have multi-tiered pricing, but it only
works if you control all sales directly and make the rules very clear at the
time of purchase. They really need to have the kind of
" I agree to these terms" section common on many sites. I think most
established educational distributors make the terms pretty clear, but there
is a lot of misinformation these days because of more fragmented selling.
For what it worth, there are a lot of filmmakers out there who sincerely
believe there is actually
some kind of copyright law that requires institutions to buy different
rights. Then again there are a lot of institutions which believe they can
stream entire films
without violating copyright so it may balance out.

Wish I could be more definitive, but I think it depends on what information
was available at time of sale.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Chris McNevins <chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu>wrote:

>  Happy New Year all!
>
> I recent purchased a "home" movie from a vendor via paypal knowing that we
> would likely not ever need PPR rights.  I received a confirmation of payment
> which included this statement:
>
> "Your Personal Use DVD has been shipped. Please note, the DVD is for home
> use only. It is not an institutional version and cannot be part of the
> University of Connecticut Library, nor can it be used in any classroom
> setting, or in a public screening. You can purchase a copy of the film with
> the legal rights for institutional use by ordering it through our website
> for $300.00 plus $10 for shipping and handling."
>
> Should I attempt to fight this or pay for PPR--or just let sleeping dogs
> lie and not say/do anything?
>
> Chris McN
> *Chris McNevins* | ACQUISITIONS COORDINATOR
> UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT | HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY
> 369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM | Storrs, CT 06269-2005 USA
> *PH*: 860-486-3842 |* FX*: 860-486-6493 |* EMAIL*: *
> chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu* <chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu>
>
> Your feet will bring you where your heart is -- Irish proverb
>
> In wine there is wisdom, in Scotch there is strength, in beer there is
> freedom,
>  and in water there is bacteria -- Attributed to David Auerbach

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)
212-627-1785 (land line)