Christine,

I was asking myself the exact same thing so I did a little digging.  Though
I am certainly no lawyer (take this with several grains of salt) there
appears to be some strong, potentially related case law where online
published terms of service have been enforced (however, not necessarily in a
First Sale Doctrine context) (see:
http://www.brookspierce.com/news-publications-42.html).  These laws appear
to vary somewhat by state, and state and federal courts have occasionally
ruled against the seller, so you are right to ask Chris. The legal wording,
notice, and mechanism for agreeing to terms appears to have been a
consideration in these decisions.

Accordingly, I agree with consensus that demands for higher payment
post-purchase may not be legally enforceable when a home viewing copy is
purchased from a major online retailer like Amazon (depending on stated
notice at the point of purchase).  When it comes to some of the smaller
distributor sites, as noted, legal enforceability gets fairly nuanced, but
may lean towards seller enforceability.

Scott Spicer
Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian
University of Minnesota Libraries - Twin Cities
341 Walter Library
spic0...@umn.edu    612.626.0629
Media Services: lib.umn.edu/media
SMART Learning Commons: smart.umn.edu