I thought I was pretty well-versed in Public Performance Rights, however I just had a question that has me a bit stumped. We have been indicating in our cataloging records when a media item has been purchased with Public Performance Rights, and I often show faculty interested in programming film series how they can search our catalog for these titles. These have always been for non-paying audiences. Today I spoke with a faculty member who is proposing to rent out a local non-profit theater, and wants to charge admission to recoup the rental costs. It dawned on me that I've never dealt with or considered the paid admission / PPR scenario. So:

There is no one definition of PPR, is there? Meaning, some distributors may say that PPR includes the 'right' to charge admission, while others will stipulate that it's only applicable for 'free' admission?

My hunch is that the faculty member will need to contact the distributors for clarification. Your $.02?

Thank you,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Associate Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware