From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Pearson, Jeffrey
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:33 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] streaming clips

Hello video uber-mind. I've received a question about streaming clips and find
that I'm unsure as to the answer. Perhaps this has already been beaten to death
on this listserv, and I apologize if I'm being dense here.

According to the U.S. copyright office (http://www.copyright.gov/1201/ :

(1) Motion pictures on DVDs that are lawfully made and acquired and that are
protected by the Content Scrambling System when circumvention is accomplished
solely in order to accomplish the incorporation of short portions of motion
pictures into new works for the purpose of criticism or comment, and where the
person engaging in circumvention believes and has reasonable grounds for
believing that circumvention is necessary to fulfill the purpose of the use in
the following instances:

(i)  Educational uses by college and university professors and by college and
university film and media studies students;
(ii) Documentary filmmaking;
(iii) Noncommercial videos.

It has already been pointed out on this listserve that duration and portion of
the whole issues for clips involve fair use decisions. The law above has more
to do with the legality of inserting a clip in something like a powerpoint
presentation for educational use.

So, if an instructor wants to (or wants the library to) stream a clip on their
course website, does fair use allow the stream? It seems to me that the fair
use legality of streaming a clip has not been addressed. It's not clear in this
brain, in any case.

Thanks,

Jeff
Univ of Michigan media library