Society for Cinema & Media Studies so basically film & media professors.
Ironically many of their wilder claims re "fair use" appear to be gone from
their "best practices" document which previously claimed you could again
tape anything off air and use it forever and you could get a copy from your
friend of shall we say undefined origin. It is now very cleaned up. I do
wonder a bit if that is for public consumption though. Dennis will
undoubtedly remember when I got into a shouting match with well known
academic media person (who is VERY active in various projects media "access"
issues some related to ALA), who did indeed insist one could use anything
off air and copies of films wherever you could find them. Same person who I
have also referred to who told a ALA meeting that one should NOT contact the
rights holder when determining the status of  a work.

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)
212-627-1785 (land line)