Gary,

I'm just saying that there have been some outlandishly over-the-top
statements. And I'm willing to back it up... For example,
here<http://www.fiafnet.org/uk/members/Fair%20Use.cfm>
:

10) As a principle of “fair access”, FIAF affiliates declare their right to
engage in the following archive-related activities, without the payment of
fees to outside organizations:

• exhibition on their premises
• loans to other affiliates
• use in their own publications and promotional activities

of the motion pictures and related promotional and other historical
materials in their collections.
Before that, I was there right with them! Note that "fair use" is not an
international term and that other countries are struggling with even the
terminology.

And of course, in real practice, FIAF archives are now even charging *each
other* for the loan of prints, which for seventy years was a sacred no-no
for the organizational members.
--
Best regards,
Dennis Doros