From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Deg Farrelly
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:08 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] What do you use for streaming videos?

Some background and then a question....

ASU Libraries recently implemented a Pilot interface for hosting
streaming videos when a distributor does not provide hosting.
(Most of our streaming videos are from Alexander Street Press, Ambrose
Digital, and Films Media Group)

After many months delay we went with the "free" version of Kaltura
(remember, there's no such thing as "free kittens") with a Drupal
interface for management.  We went this direction because it looked as
if the University's IT was going to support Kaltura system-wide.  And
after many delays we could not wait any longer for that decision. (Blah
blah blah, politics, blah blah blah territory,  blah blah blah funding,
blah blah blah etc.)

Our Kaltura/Drupal set-up does what it needs to do at a basic level.
Files stream, they're accessed through catalog records or directly on
the site, access is authenticated.

Enough background... now for the question

We are interested in knowing what system/s interfaces you use to locally
host video.  Do you use something home-grown, outsource to a 3rd party
(LearningCore, SCCTV/Iris, etc.) or another approach.

We are not looking for information on streaming that is hosted by the
distributor.

You can reply directly to me... unless others on the list care to see
all the replies as well.

Thanx!

-deg

--